The Food & Beverage Business
Helping Entrepreneurs Succeed....
Articles & Information
Many of these articles have been previously published in Express Hospitality, Hospitality Biz, Hotelier (India), the Hindustan Times, or DNA. Some of them are not entirely appropriate for a stand-alone restaurant, but are included for whatever indirect relevance they may have.
If you would like to contribute an article that you feel would be useful to our visitors, do mail me.
- Pointing fingers at McD’s may be irrelevant [Jul-2017, DNA Money]
A response to the recent voices on “foreign” and “unhealthy” foods at restaurants.
- Professionalising A Family-Run Business [Dec-2015, BW Hotelier (Business World Media)]
How family-run businesses can use a change agent to help them upgrade.
- Getting your Restaurant Franchise-Ready [Oct-2015, BW Hotelier (Business World Media)]
A Restaurateur’s roadmap to franchising out his brand.
- Correcting Guest Experiences gone Wrong [Sep-2015, CaLDRON Magazine]
Real industry incidents and what I learnt from them.
- The Secret Longing to Own a Restaurant [Jun-2015, Domain-B.com]
What makes a restaurant tick.
- Want to Start a Restaurant? [May-2015, Afternoon DC]
What does it take to start a restaurant?
- 5 Things You Must Know Before Starting A Restaurant [May-2015, Rediff.com]
The most critical points to keep in mind when starting a new restaurant.
- How to Grow your Restaurant Business? [Mar-2015, Food & Beverage News]
An Informed Approach towards Restaurant Business Growth.
- How Healthy is your Restaurant Business? [Nov-2014, Incredible Chef]
A few vital signs of the Restaurant Business that help you gauge its state of health.
- Bandra the Food Temple [Nov-2014]
Why Bandra has become a haven for foodies and restaurateurs.
- Does Food Safety Really Matter? [Aug-2014, Hospitality Biz]
Is food safety truly guest related, or just something we posture about?
- The Making of a Legendary Restaurant [Jul-2014, South India Hotel & Restaurant Association (by Hospitality Biz)]
A few observations on what it takes to build a legendary restaurant.
- How SOPs CAN actually be implemented [Jun-2014, Hospitality Biz]
A practical approach to creating and implementing of company policy.
- 5 Signature Dishes of Bandra Restaurants in the Last Decade [Nov-2011, United in Diversity, Celebrate Bandra]
Evolving interests of patrons at Bandra restaurants have made way for newer dishes.
- Foods Mumbaikars Have Adopted Recently [Jul-2011, Hindustan Times]
Individual Foods Mumbaikars have accepted regardless of whether the cuisines they’re from, have succeeded or not.
- Phir bhi Dil Hai Hindustani [Jul-2011, Hindustan Times]
Though urban Indian foodies crave the excitement of unfamiliar foods, it is Indian staples in whose comfort we feel anchored.
- The Chicken, Egg and Grain Question [Jun-2011, DNA Money]
Is it really Vegetarian versus Non-Vegetarian?
- How much do I tip my Server? [Jun-2011, DNA Money]
A question all of us ponder about when it’s time to pay our restaurant bill.
- Why we fight to pay the bill at Restaurants [May-2011, DNA Money]
The quirky game that Indians play at restaurants.
- 3 Things That Upset Restaurant Guests [May-2011, DNA Money]
What troubles patrons about food, service, and ambience at restaurants these days.
- Empty Your Mind... on a Holiday [Apr-2011, DNA Money]
The Genuine Hospitality of Khali Estate in Uttarakhand.
- Why am I paying so much at Restaurants? [Apr-2011, DNA Money]
An inside look into real restaurant costs and their selling price justification.
- What it Takes – To Start & Run a Successful Restaurant [Feb-2011, DNA Money]
Key areas to focus on if you are considering starting a restaurant.
- The Value of Dissent [Nov-2010, Hospitality Biz]
How dissent can actually benefit an organisation and the professionals who run it.
- What Every Employee Must Know About Business [Dec-2009, Hospitality Biz]
Truly understanding business can help employees align themselves better with their employers.
- The Bandra Food Story [Nov-2009, Souvenir, Celebrate Bandra]
How Bandra came to be a great food destination of Mumbai.
- The Culinary Time Traveller [Nov-2009, Souvenir, Celebrate Bandra]
A Profile of Chef Imtiaz Qureshi.
- Attracting & Retaining talent in a Recession [Sep-2009, Hotelier India]
Making the best of human resources during a recession.
- Restaffing during a Recession [Jul-2009, Catering Insight (Hotelier India)]
We have a very good talent pool today in terms of both quantity and quality. Now is the time to get the good guys you have always wanted.
- Foodservice in a Recession [Jun-2009, Catering Insight (Hotelier India)]
Optimizing your foodservice business for a recessive economy.
- The Hospitality Research Center of India [May-2009, Express Hospitality]
There is a need for a good Hospitality Research Center in India to gather, collate and analyse data on relevant industry topics.
- Hospitality in Today’s India [Mar-2009, Express Hospitality]
The Indian Hospitality industry today holds great opportunity.
- Menu Development & Control [Feb-2009, Hotelier India]
The process of creating a suitable menu can be more involved that is obvious at first sight.
- Predicting Culinary Trends for 2009 [Dec-2008, Hindustan Times]
What I expect to happen in the upcoming year, 2009.
- Taking Ownership as an Employee [Dec-2008, Hospitality Biz]
Getting employees to take ownership is difficult, but very rewarding.
- Bridging Execution Gaps caused by Perception Challenges [Aug-2008, Hospitality Biz]
Bridging the gap between planning and execution caused by differences in perception.
- Integrated Retailing [2008, Yourstory]
Multi-use integrated retail development is a growing factor in the Indian market.
- Business Rejuvenation and Turnaround [Sep-2007, Express Hospitality]
Effective strategies to vitalise a flagging Business.
- Revenue Management [Jan-2007, Express Hospitality]
Boosting Restaurant Sales through Revenue Management Practices.
- Culinary Information [Sep-2005, Book]
Basic conversions (weights and measures), a few culinary terms and methods of cooking.
- Dining Etiquette [Sep-2005, Book]
A few social dining graces... however unfathomable.
- The Essence of an Entrepreneur [Jun-2005, Express Hotelier & Caterer]
Some thoughts on what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur
- A touch of pedigree Education [May-2005, Express Hotelier & Caterer]
An experience of the Small and Medium Enterprise Program 2005 at IIM Ahmedabad.
- Genuine Customer Experience [2005, Express Hotelier & Caterer]
Delivering genuine customer experience in today’s competitive market
- Smoke for Thought [Sep-2001, Express Hotelier & Caterer]
A discussion on whether or not smoking can and should be restricted in eateries and public places.
- Stress in a 365 Day Industry [Aug-2001, Express Hotelier & Caterer]
Avoid being a victim of the hospitality industry lifestyle patterns.
- The Trainer Within [Jun-2001, Express Hotelier & Caterer]
Every senior management person regardless of his department is a trainer.
- Proactivity for Organisational Growth [May-2001, Express Hotelier & Caterer]
Planning for organisational development.
- Job Satisfaction and its effects on Organisational Performance [May-2001, Express Hotelier & Caterer]
Individual job satisfaction, better work environment, better performance.